ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "markus.heikkinen@iki.fi" <markus.a.heikki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IvyDE seems to prefer artifacts in non-workspace-resolver over projects present in workspace
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 17:05:30 GMT

----- Reply message -----
Lähettäjä: "Nicolas Lalevée" <nicolasd.lalevee@hibnet.org>
Vastaanottaja: <ivy-user@ant.apache.org>
Aihe: IvyDE seems to prefer artifacts in non-workspace-resolver over projects present in workspace
Päivämäärä: ke, toukokuuta 16, 2012 02:32

Le 15 mai 2012 à 22:55, Matt Hurne a écrit :

>>> Each time I read the ChainResolver I am bit confused by the "return first" condition,
which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

>> Yeah...according to the documentation, once the module is found in a
>> given resolver in the chain resolvers that haven't yet been used
>> should be skipped altogether.  The code doesn't seem to be written
>> that way; it seems to use all of the resolvers regardless of
>> returnFirst (in addition to seemingly returning the module found last,
>> not first).  I feel like I must be missing something here.  Am I?
>
> Further reading and looking at the commit (revision 688097) that
> introduced the current line that calls isReturnFirst() leads me to
> believe that the idea is this:  if the module found first in the chain
> should be returned, forcedRevision() is called to set a flag on the
> ResolvedModuleRevision called "force".  Then when subsequent resolvers
> are called, they are passed the previously resolved
> ResolvedModuleRevision.  It is apparently their responsibility to
> inspect the "force" flag on that revision, and if it is true, *not*
> resolve the module themselves, but rather return the previously
> resolved module instead.  So it's not nearly as straightforward as I
> had originally expected (is it ever?!).

I have understood the rationale.

> I'll need to step through the code again, and pay more attention to
> what each resolver in the chain is doing.  I'll have to pick this back
> up tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I find!

If you could share a little bit more of your project configuration, I could try to look into
it too. Mailing lists are generally not appropriate to share files, so if you want to share
some, you are welcomed to open a Jira issue.

Nicolas

> Thanks,
> Matt Hurne
>

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Matt Hurne <matt@thehurnes.com> wrote:
>>> Each time I read the ChainResolver I am bit confused by the "return first" condition,
which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

>> Yeah...according to the documentation, once the module is found in a
>> given resolver in the chain resolvers that haven't yet been used
>> should be skipped altogether.  The code doesn't seem to be written
>> that way; it seems to use all of the resolvers regardless of
>> returnFirst (in addition to seemingly returning the module found last,
>> not first).  I feel like I must be missing something here.  Am I?
>>

>>> Just a hint: what happens if you remove from your ivysettings the defaultConflictManager
?

>> I just removed the defaultConflictManager from my ivysettings and went
>> through the clean->resolve before building and publishing->build and
>> publish->resolve again process, and the result is the same; after the
>> publish and re-resolve the workspace projects are replaced in the Ivy
>> classpath container by the artifacts in the repository.  Isn't
>> latest-revision the default when the attribute is omitted anyway?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt Hurne
>>

>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Nicolas Lalevée
>> <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:

>>> Each time I read the ChainResolver I am bit confused by the "return first" condition,
which doesn't return. I am not sure here what should be the code path.

>>> Just a hint: what happens if you remove from your ivysettings the defaultConflictManager
?

>>> Nicolas

does a "deliver" of the ivy.xml of your project. If there is any range version in your dependencies,
Ivy fix them as the one resolved during the build. So the next time a resolve happens and
that module is found in you repository, Ivy will resolved the previously-resolved revision,
the fixed one, not the original range version. Setting the resolve mode to dynamic change
this behavior; it will use the range rather than the resolved version. Look at your ivy.xml
in the local repository, you'll see some extra attributes in your dependency, if you have
any range version.

the Workspace resolver. See at the end of the doc:

your own and the workspace resolver, and still want the transitive dependencies work nicely
between them, you may want to turn the resolve mode to dynamic:
settings in the ivysettings.
in the ivysettings.

to the

does a "deliver" of the ivy.xml of your project. If there is any range version in your dependencies,
Ivy fix them as the one resolved during the build. So the next time a resolve happens and
that module is found in you repository, Ivy will resolved the previously-resolved revision,
the fixed one, not the original range version. Setting the resolve mode to dynamic change
this behavior; it will use the range rather than the resolved version. Look at your ivy.xml
in the local repository, you'll see some extra attributes in your dependency, if you have
any range version.

the Workspace resolver. See at the end of the doc:

your own and the workspace resolver, and still want the transitive dependencies work nicely
between them, you may want to turn the resolve mode to dynamic:
settings in the ivysettings.
in the ivysettings.

our projects on each
 One of the resolvers