ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "David Sills" <DSi...@datasourceinc.com>
Subject RE: 2 Questions for ivyIDE
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:57:11 GMT
Oh, Alan, and what I meant is that on the regular Eclipse project
classpath one is allowed to supply source code locations along with a
JAR file added to the classpath. This can be another JAR or a directory.
I understand now that Ivy processes this differently. Pity, since the
Eclipse methodology is far more flexible.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Chaney [mailto:alan@writingshow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:12 PM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: 2 Questions for ivyIDE

Hi,

I can't comment on the first part of your answer, but I have commented
in line on the sources issue.

On 3/20/2012 9:56 AM, David Sills wrote:
> All:
>
> I love working with Eclipse and ivyIDE with 2 exceptions, and I wonder

> if I am just missing something.
>
> My environment consists of a company-wide repository, where I place
> the results of building my projects, and of course a local repository,

> which sometimes though not always has folders for some of the same
projects.
> As an example, let's assume that my project, say, "xxx-encryption"
> depends on "xxx-common". All is well and Ivy does well with it.
>
> However, I add some functionality to "xxx-common", up the build
> number, and rebuild. Great. Using Eclipse, I resolve "xxx-encryption"
> and it gets the correct updated value for the version number. In order

> to update the "xxx-encryption" Ivy files, I build "xxx-encryption"
> even though there have not been any changes to the project itself,
> only its dependencies. The company-wide repository's version of
> ivy.xml is correctly updated with the appropriate dependency on the
> new version of "xxx-common". However, the local repository's version
of ivy.xml is not!
> This means that when I have a third project, say "xxx-web", that
> depends on "xxx-encryption" and try to resolve that project, the old
> (now
> incorrect) version of "xxx-common" is taken, since the local
> repository's version is read first if it exists.
>
> What am I missing? I find myself constantly manually updating the
> files in the local repository in order to get the transitive
> dependencies right.
>
> Also, can someone explain to me why my Ivy container in ivyIDE doesn't

> allow me to put source code locations on the JARs? That would be
> hugely helpful in debugging, especially in a situation where I have a
> lot of smaller projects that depend on each other and I assemble them
> as needed for a specific requirement. Or do I have to create source
> JAR files for each project using Ivy to make that happen? And will it
> happen if I do make source JAR files?
I don't quite understand what you mean by "source code locations on the
JARs". Its possible to publish  Ivy artifacts for sources and javadocs
(or anything else for that matter.) You need to add them to the
publications section of your Ivy module.

Also, see this thread:

http://old.nabble.com/Ivyde%2C-ivy-roundup-and-%27source%27-td33388096.h
tml

With the current released version you need to have the source and
javadocs artifacts named with a pattern like:

someproject-src.jar

or
someproject-src.zip

However, there are a lot of ivy files out there which define the sources
as source.jar or source.zip. The next release of ivyde will, hopefully,
rectify this by adding in some additional metadata.

In the mean time, if you have a corporate repository, you can simply
arrange a folder structure that complies with existing mechanism and
update your third party ivy files correspondingly. I've done this for
one client using XSLT and an ant script.

HTH

ALan