ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Adam Mlodzinski <Adam.Mlodzin...@quest.com>
Subject Purpose of artifact ext attribute
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:35:28 GMT
Hi there,

I'm just getting started with ivy, and I have many questions. Most have been answered by the
docs, and some by searching the web. But, there's one thing I don't understand:

What is the purpose of separating the 'ext' from the artifact 'name'? I mean, why is 'ext'
a separate thing at all? It's clearly distinct from the artifact 'type', but I fail to see
why it's been made distinct from the artifact name. Can I safely ignore it or use an empty
string when defined in ivy.xml, and not use [ext] at all in my build (ivy:publish) files?

Case in point: mystuff.tar.gz.

Is the 'name' = "mystuff", with an extension "tar.gz"?
Or, is the 'name' = "mystuff.tar", with an extension "gz"?
Or, is the 'name' = "mystuff.tar.gz", and the extension irrelevant?

I think all are correct, conceptually. But it looks like ivy would have trouble handling the
first one - at least, coming up with a pattern to match it would be not obvious.

P.S.
I hate to pile on more than one question, but these are so minor, I really don't want to start
separate threads for them:
Where do the docs explain that a physical artifact path is parsed to provide values for the
bracketed portions of the artifactpattern? Do the docs point out that all such bracketed expressions
in ivy:publish are matched against corresponding attributes defined in ivy.xml  - and that
the names generally match, except for [artifact], which is matched against the artifact elements'
"name" attribute?
I couldn't find this information.