ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From groovinfingers <caldwellsh...@gmail.com>
Subject Using IvyDE with Android and Eclipse 3.6.1 and Mac 10.6.8
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:02:17 GMT

Hello.

I've been trying to use IvyDE to replace my .classpath entries with ivy.xml.
My goal is to reference ivy.xml from both our ant scripts and our launch
configuration files while our dependencies remain in one place (i.e. in
ivy.xml).

To begin, I figured I'd limit my complexity by attempting to achieve one
goal - build an Android project in Eclipse while the project references
ivy.xml.  Since Eclipse will auto-build a project anytime the contents of a
file change, a successful build in my mind is one that contains no build
errors in Eclipse.  Note that I am not attempting to build this Android
project using ant.  I am solely building it using Eclipse.

I began by installing IvyDE using the Eclipse plugin installation URL that
is declared in the documentation.  Then, I restarted Eclipse.  Upon viewing
the Eclipse preferences menu, I can now see a menu entry for Ivy.  I made no
changes to this.

Next, I created a new Android project.  The project contains one activity
and shows Hello World on the screen.  I verified that I was able to install
the app on to my phone and that the app works.

Next step was to create a dependency on a jar.  I choose Google's gson
product.  I added the jar to our /lib folder and then added the jar to the
project's build path.  In our single Activity class, I then created an
instance of a class that is contained in the jar file.  I did this to ensure
that the project will recognize that it has a dependency on this jar.  The
project still builds successfully and the app runs fine on the phone.

OK - time to create a new ivy.xml file.  I did this by right-clicking the
project and selecting the create new file option.  I selected the option for
ivy file, followed the wizard, and then selected finish.  I made no changes
to any of the options in the wizard.
I did manually add the reference to gson.  Here is the file.

<ivy-module version="2.0"

xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://ant.apache.org/ivy/schemas/ivy.xsd">
    <info
        organisation="test"
        module="test-iv"
        status="integration">
	</info>
	<dependencies>
		<dependency org="com.google.gson" name="gson-1.7.1" rev="1.0"/>
	</dependencies>
</ivy-module>

Next, I followed the steps in the doc to essentially remove all dependencies
from the build path and instead add ivy.xml to the project's build path.
This is where I started having problems.

After removing the reference to gson from the build path and then adding a
reference to ivy.xml to the build path, my build failed.  This is where I am
stuck.  Here is the error.

Description	Resource	Path	Location	Type
Impossible to resolve dependencies of
mm#test-iv;working@[removedForSecurity].local	ivy.xml	/testAndroid	Unknown
Problem

As a side note, I also attempted to use the Resolve feature so that the
ivy.xml file would be populated with an entry for gson.  This feature did
not work for me.

Does anyone have some advice to offer me?

Thanks for your time and for reading this far.

gf