ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Kirby Files <kfi...@masergy.com>
Subject Re: container supplied jars excluded in ivy
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:31:41 GMT
Steve,

Steve Prior wrote on 07/25/2011 11:24 PM:
> On 7/25/2011 10:39 PM, Kirby Files wrote:
>> To me, adding a bunch of dependencies, only to later exclude them, seems a
>> little backward (and awkward). If war is not a superset of runtime or
>> compile, then I wouldn't make it extend them. I'd create a base config, which
>> contains the minimal intersection of dependencies, and then add deps shared
>> by runtime and war to minimal, and those only needed by runtime to it:
>>
>> <conf name="war" extends="minimal" />  <conf name="runtime" extends="minimal"
>> />
>>
>> <dependency conf="runtime" org="javax.servlet" name="servlet-api"
>> rev="2.4"/>  <dependency conf="minimal" org="com.geekster"
>> name="library.tvLib" rev="latest.integration"/>
>
> I considered that and agree with you at a philosophical level, but it didn't
> work when it scaled up.  I had "library" projects which used hibernate and then
> webapps projects which would depend on them.

[...]
> So after having done it that way I come back around to my most recently proposed
> method:
>
> * library code provides compile and runtime confs, and the runtime conf provides
> anything that might be needed at runtime, container or not.
>
> * the actual webapp project project just needs to deal with compile and runtime
> configs from the library projects, and it's ONLY that last webapp ivy.xml which
> needs to have ANY concept of how your local Tomcat/container servers are loaded
> up with any shared libs or managed resources.

> At all convinced?

I can see how, given your situation, using excludes is a more general
solution. I guess I'm fortunate not to be in that situation, though
I'm glad to learn of the per-conf exclude at the <dependencies> level;
I wasn't previously aware it could be used like that.

Thanks,
---
Kirby Files
Software Architect