ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Garner, Shawn" <Garner.Sh...@principal.com>
Subject RE: questions on ivy usage/setup
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 20:10:13 GMT
Your comments were immensely helpful.
I used filesystem resolver to resolve the Websphere jars.  I pointed it to the 3 different
directories and listed all the jars we needed.
I used a separate cache and set the useOrigin to true which causes the cache to use symbolic
links instead of the jars.

I tried to use a retrieve with symlink="true" but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Is there anything special you need to do to get symlink="true" to work on a retrieve?

The documentation says something about useOrigin which I have set to true on the cache.

I still would like to get the symlink to work on the retrieve but I did cachefileset to work
after a resolve.  I don't see why a symlink in the resolve should work any different than
a symlink in the cache that the cachefileset resolves by.

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:13 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: questions on ivy usage/setup

Hi, Shawn.  Not sure how much help I can provide, but bear with me and
we'll see.  Comments inline:

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Garner, Shawn
<Garner.Shawn@principal.com> wrote:
> I am doing a sample evaluation of Ivy and seeing how we can incorporate it into both
our continuous integration build which uses ANT scripts today and also we'll need it to work
for developer's IDE (RAD) on their workstations.
> We have some custom ant tasks which do quite a bit of work of dependency and classpath
resolution already but I'm not sure if custom ant tasks are the best thing.
> I have a few questions on use of Ivy.
>
> Question 1.
> We use Websphere

My condolences.  :(

> and a lot of our apps either depend on one of the runtimes of 6.1 or 7.0 and/or one of
it's JDK's 1.5 or 1.6.

Ouch, beyond using WAS itself you're depending on its specific
internals?  No wonder you're having trouble, afloat in these
shark-infested and sparsely traveled waters.  As much as I might feel
therefore that some of your questions are based on a landscape which I
wouldn't work in to begin with, I will try to answer your questions
with as little such commentary as possible.

> I wrote an ivy file and installed it in my ivy repository (artifactory) which works however:
> 1) I don't like that it copies the JARs to my provided configuration directory (also
the cache) for each project.

You don't like it copying jars to the cache, or just your local
project directory?  Most often I see no reason to retrieve
dependencies at all.  I just use cachepaths.

> 2) I don't want to re-publish it to my repository (artifactory) if we apply patches to
the runtimes or jdks.

I'm not sure I follow this.  Surely you're only compiling against the
WAS runtime, so how often do their patches actually affect the public
API?  This is an example of why you don't want to depend on
proprietary APIs for your application server.  Since they don't make
these publicly available in any kind of repository (last I checked
anyway, which thankfully continues to recede into the haze of my aging
mnemonic faculties), you take on the responsibility of managing this
yourself.  I point this out because it's not that the work doesn't
have to be done in any case, but now it's you--and every other team in
the same boat, independently--who has to do it.

> I'd like to use the FileSystemResolver and use symbolic links however it doesn't seem
like it's setup to use something that's organized in an Ivy repository layout which Websphere
does not obey whatsoever.

I can't quite parse the above, but it smells like you're on the trail
of something doable...

> Do I have to write a custom resolver to do this?  If so is there any documentation on
how to do this?

I would doubt that you'd have to go so far.  I don't know of any
specific "how to write a custom resolver" tutorial, but at the end of
the day I'm mostly just a "top-layer" Ivy user myself; maybe someone
else knows of such.

> Question 2.
> Currently we build EJB, Web Projects, and Utility Jars that depend on Jars in the EAR
file.
> Sometimes it's just Jars that contain properties files or generated content that is generated
from a temporary project then jar'd up and no formal project is kept.
> Is there any way to find (resolve, retrieve) those jars without publishing them?  It
seems kind of silly to publish/resolve/retrieve them to the repository if they are only ever
used in building one ear.

Create the simplest possible temporary filesystem repository as part
of your build, populate it, and include it in your ivy-settings when
you resolve?  You can use caches:cache:ttl to more or less disable
caching for the artifacts.  Or (probably what I would do) bypass Ivy
for this step.  You can build the ear with whatever jars you like,
from Ivy or otherwise, no?

> Question 3.
> How do others handle modifying the MANIFEST.MF file for Class-Path attribute?

Again, ugh.  I don't do much with EARs; is Class-Path necessary in
that world?  I don't believe in manifest classpaths myself.  That
said...

> My understanding is unless the EJB, War, or utility jar in the EAR declare it in their
manifest file that Websphere won't load it.
> With the dynamic nature of ivy I expected there to be something to help with this but
didn't find it.
> Sometimes you need a runtime jar declared in there and sometimes you need a compile or
default config jar in there.
> It would be nice if there were a manifest section and you could generate the manifest
from the dependencies somehow.

Like with Ant's jar:manifest element, manifest task, and manifestclasspath task?

> Question 4.
> I have my artifactory repository installed locally I'm sure everything is cached in my
local cache and also in artifactory.
> However if I disconnect my laptop from the internet (I know it's weird today) I would
like it to retrieve everything from the cache if it can't connect.
> It seemed like my builds would fail if I was disconnected.
> Is there a way to do this if there is no internet connectivity?  I wasn't seeing any
configurations to say default to local cache if it's there.
> Currently I'm using the URL  resolver pointing to artifactory for local projects (internal
projects) and another ibiblio resolver point to artifactory for remote repositories.

I'm pretty sure there are ways to use Ivy in offline mode, but I've
never gotten around to finding out what they are personally.  :|

HTH,
Matt

> I appreciate any help or advice others have on this.
> Shawn

is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by reply email to Connect@principal.com and delete or destroy
all copies of the original message and attachments thereto.  Email sent to or from the Principal
Financial Group or any of its member companies may be retained as required by law or regulation.<br><br>
Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an Electronic signature for purposes of
the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA) or the Electronic Signatures in Global and
National Commerce Act (&quot;E-Sign&quot;) unless a specific statement to the contrary
is included in this message.<br><br>While this communication may be used to promote
or market a transaction or an idea that is discussed in the publication, it is intended to
provide general information about the subject matter covered and is provided with the understanding
that The Principal is not rendering legal, accounting, or tax advice. It is not a marketed
opinion and may not be used to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. You should
consult with appropriate counsel or other advisors on all matters pertaining to legal, tax,
or accounting obligations and requirements.<br><pre>