ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Geoff Clitheroe <g.clithe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building a Repo -- Excludes Question
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 02:16:30 GMT
My take;

if you are ever going to share that repo with other developers or have
your CI system publish to it on successful builds (we do) then use a
repo manager from the start.  If you want it to be local for now then
is 127.0.0.1:80 local enough?

Also, you asked if it is possible to install direct from your ivy.xml
definition.  I don't _think_ so (anyone else?) but a repo manager
being a proxy will take care of this.

FWIW these discussions and questions are pretty common.  It begs a
project that is really just a repackage of other projects.  Something
along this lines of an Ivy repo quick start.

Package archiva (already has Jetty), an Ivy jar, some ant scripts to
bootstrap Ivy and do the settings, build base files for Netbeans and
whatever Eclipse and Ivyde uses.  Maybe add Ivy round up.  Getting Ivy
running with a local repo (which could then become remote) should then
be as simple starting Jetty.  I don't have time but if anyone does
then take what ever is useful from here:

http://codegeo.org/confluence/display/codegeo/Common+Build+Environment
http://codegeo.org/repos/codegeo/build/trunk/

Spend your time on planes drinking and sleeping.  If you don't look
forwards to long haul as a well earned break you aren't working hard
enough in the office.

Cheers,
Geoff

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Scott Palmer <swpalmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-05-24, at 9:07 PM, Cody Casterline wrote:
>
>> I want to make an on-disk repo and
>> check it in with my source so that it's always available.  Even if the
>> network goes down or I'm on a plane.
>
> Slightly off-topic, but I thought I would comment and someone can tell me if I'm missing
something…

> Checking in the repo defeats it's purpose.  One of the reasons to use a dependency manager
is to keep stuff that isn't source code out of your source control system.  A good rule of
thumb is that if it doesn't create a readable "diff" it probably doesn't belong in your SCM.
(Icons, images, sound effects, small media files being an allowable exception.)

> Ask your self what you are getting by checking-in your Ivy repo?  Versioning? No, the
ivy repo handles versioning of the resources internally.  You are basically just making a
redundant copy… but your SCM isn't a backup tool.

> But I'm totally with you in terms of having a local repository as a more visible and
controllable "local cache"…  (unless there is a better way?)