ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Cody Casterline <cody.casterl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building a Repo -- Excludes Question
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 01:07:40 GMT
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Geoff Clitheroe <g.clitheroe@gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't see a direct dependency on javax.activation for
> cxf-rt-frontend-jaxws so something else is calling for it.
>

> http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.apache.cxf%7Ccxf-rt-frontend-jaxws%7C2.4.0%7Cjar

I figured as much, but I was hoping someone a bit more experienced might be
able to pinpoint the issue and clarify why it's happening.

I did a bit more searching (thanks, ivy:report!)  and I think I figured it
out:
org.apache.cxf#cxf-rt-frontend-jaxws
depends on: org.springframework#spring-webmvc
depends on: org.springframework#spring-web
depends on: javax.xml.soap#saaj-api
depends on: javax.activation#activation

While some other dependencies exclude javax.activation (like
org.apache.cxf#cxf-api), because nothing in the above chain does, without an
exclusion, my project does too.  (Do please correct me if I'm wrong here.)
 :)

Hmm, though, spring-web only depends on saaj-api as scope "provided", so it
shouldn't have to download it, should it?
see:
http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/springframework/spring-web/3.0.5.RELEASE/spring-web-3.0.5.RELEASE.pom

You will occasionally hit these problems.

Doh!  Ok, then my next question is what's the best way to handle these when
they come up?

> You may want to check out
> http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/

Hmm.  I'm not quite sure what this offers me over just using an <ibiblio>
resolver.

> And to answer  the final question.  Yes!  Run a repo manager as a proxy.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html

Yikes!   The reason I liked the solution at
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/tutorial/build-repository.html
was
because it *doesn't* require using a repo manager.  I really don't want to
have to hit the network to do builds.  I want to make an on-disk repo and
check it in with my source so that it's always available.  Even if the
network goes down or I'm on a plane.

> This also gives you some options to do manual fixes for problems like
> javax.activation

I can do that with an on-disk repo too, though, can't I?  Though I'm a bit
vague on the best way to fix this case.