ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Scott Palmer <swpal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building a Repo -- Excludes Question
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 01:51:21 GMT

On 2011-05-24, at 9:07 PM, Cody Casterline wrote:

> I want to make an on-disk repo and
> check it in with my source so that it's always available.  Even if the
> network goes down or I'm on a plane.

Slightly off-topic, but I thought I would comment and someone can tell me if I'm missing something…

Checking in the repo defeats it's purpose.  One of the reasons to use a dependency manager
is to keep stuff that isn't source code out of your source control system.  A good rule of
thumb is that if it doesn't create a readable "diff" it probably doesn't belong in your SCM.
(Icons, images, sound effects, small media files being an allowable exception.)

Ask your self what you are getting by checking-in your Ivy repo?  Versioning? No, the ivy
repo handles versioning of the resources internally.  You are basically just making a redundant
copy… but your SCM isn't a backup tool.

But I'm totally with you in terms of having a local repository as a more visible and controllable
"local cache"…  (unless there is a better way?)

Regards,

Scott