ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IVY design opinion
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:02:36 GMT
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Shawn Castrianni
<Shawn.Castrianni@halliburton.com> wrote:
> Kirby and Archie have similar suggestions to using an http resolver with authentication.
 I will look into that.

> What does everyone think about Artifactory?  It seems like it might also solve the problem
but also bring other cool features too?

I've not used Artifactory, but you should be able to get at least
logging info out of Sonatype Nexus OSS, possible more, or look into
their Professional product.

$0.02

Matt

> ---
> Shawn Castrianni

Not sure if you require actual secure authentication, or just username.

> Either of these resolvers could also share the same filesystem with your private filesystem
resolver, which could be restricted to be used only on build systems. Both the web server
and ftp server would give you a good audit trail. You can use either a URL resolver or VFS
resolver to access HTTP and FTP.

> Thanks,
> ---
> Kirby Files
> Software Engineer
> Masergy Communications
> kfiles@masergy.com
>
> Shawn Castrianni wrote on 04/06/2011 02:07 PM:
>> I have been using IVY for 3 years now and love it.  I use the filesystem resolver
to get dependencies that I publish from my own builds and the svn resolver to get thirdparty
dependencies that I have downloaded from the internet and manually checked in.  My company
wants to be very strict on thirdparty dependencies so that is why we get them from a controlled
SVN repository and not straight from the Internet using ibiblio or whatever.

>> Anyway, I was recently given a new requirement.  I must track and trace all dependency
downloads within the company so that I can produce an audit log when asked any time in the
future.  This audit log would contain the date/time and artifacts downloaded by a given user.

>> I have been thinking on how to implement this and here are my thoughts:
>>
>> 1.       Turn off read access on the filer server where the filesystem resolver
is getting dependencies from so no one can bypass the auditing and grab artifacts directly.
 Setup a special user with read credentials to the file server that only the ANT/IVY scripts
know about.  Add custom ANT code to my master build script so that it captures the ivy resolve/retrieve
log and sends it to some audit log storage server anytime a user runs the dependency command.

>> 2.       Move all of my published artifacts currently on the file server to SVN
(similar to the thirdparty SVN repo described above).  Change my filesystem resolver to an
SVN resolver.  Then any user running the dependency command will be pulling artifacts from
SVN.  I can then just use the SVN server logs as an audit trail.  However, I worry about
using SVN for hundreds of Gigabytes of data as an IVY dependency artifact repository.  We
produce about 4GB of data per day.  Imagine how big the SVN repo would get after a year.
 With the current file server approach, we remove dependency artifacts older than a week
to avoid this data accumulation problem.

>> 3.       Make my own custom IVY resolver that has audit trail support that can
still use a filesystem.  This is essentially the same as option #1 but the auditing is done
in Java code as part of the custom IVY resolver instead of ANT code in the master build script.

>> Anybody out there have any opinions or suggestions?
>>
>> ---
>> Shawn Castrianni

>> This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged
information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or
disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized
to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail
and delete all copies of this message.