ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: How to add a complex project such as Spring or Hibernate to an ivy private Repository?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:06:48 GMT
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Gareth Collins <gareth_collins@hotmail.com
> wrote:

> I am curious (and I hope this does not sound rude) - what problem are you
> really trying to solve with Ivy Roundup?

Ivy RoundUp was created because there wasn't any good repository for ivy
users. Simply piggy-backing ivy off of maven repositories was not considered
a sufficient alternative for these reasons:

   - Lack of precision and inconsistency in dependency specifications
   - Lots of software not contained (or up to date) in maven repo
   - I don't use maven :)

I primarily use ivy because I want a corporate internal repository for all
> our third-party dependencies. Why would I want another external dependency
> not under my control which takes a lot of work to keep up-to-date with new
> releases into maven (I may be misunderstanding, but it appears ivy roundup
> requires hand-coding the ivy files - I just use the autogenerated ones
> without ivy
> namespaces so I can easily correlate my ivy repository jar locations to the
> corresponding maven locations)
> and doesn't solve sun/oracle jar publication issues?

Nothing stops you from using Ivy RoundUp in addition to other maven
repositories, it's not an either/or choice.

Regarding control, yes it's not under your control, but neither is the maven
repository. What you control is how you configure your ivy clients, your
private repository, etc. With ivy, control is supposed to be applied at the
settings level, not the repository level. Maven doesn't give you as much
choice in this regard.

Regarding licensing issues, I'm not sure I understand how maven gets around
this. How is it legal to download some JAR with a license requirement and
then put that JAR up on a public web server for the world to download freely
without any license? I agree it's a lot more convenient though :)

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs