ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Kirby Files <kfi...@masergy.com>
Subject Re: IVY design opinion
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:44:25 GMT
Do you have an objection to using an http resolver or ftp resolver?
Both of these could be used with authentication, supplying ant
user.name in a property. Not sure if you require actual secure
authentication, or just username.

Either of these resolvers could also share the same filesystem with
your private filesystem resolver, which could be restricted to be used
only on build systems. Both the web server and ftp server would give
you a good audit trail. You can use either a URL resolver or VFS
resolver to access HTTP and FTP.

Thanks,
---
Kirby Files
Software Engineer
Masergy Communications
kfiles@masergy.com

Shawn Castrianni wrote on 04/06/2011 02:07 PM:
> I have been using IVY for 3 years now and love it.  I use the filesystem resolver to
get dependencies that I publish from my own builds and the svn resolver to get thirdparty
dependencies that I have downloaded from the internet and manually checked in.  My company
wants to be very strict on thirdparty dependencies so that is why we get them from a controlled
SVN repository and not straight from the Internet using ibiblio or whatever.

> Anyway, I was recently given a new requirement.  I must track and trace all dependency
downloads within the company so that I can produce an audit log when asked any time in the
future.  This audit log would contain the date/time and artifacts downloaded by a given user.

> I have been thinking on how to implement this and here are my thoughts:
>
> 1.       Turn off read access on the filer server where the filesystem resolver is getting
dependencies from so no one can bypass the auditing and grab artifacts directly.  Setup a
special user with read credentials to the file server that only the ANT/IVY scripts know about.
 Add custom ANT code to my master build script so that it captures the ivy resolve/retrieve
log and sends it to some audit log storage server anytime a user runs the dependency command.

> 2.       Move all of my published artifacts currently on the file server to SVN (similar
to the thirdparty SVN repo described above).  Change my filesystem resolver to an SVN resolver.
 Then any user running the dependency command will be pulling artifacts from SVN.  I can then
just use the SVN server logs as an audit trail.  However, I worry about using SVN for hundreds
of Gigabytes of data as an IVY dependency artifact repository.  We produce about 4GB of data
per day.  Imagine how big the SVN repo would get after a year.  With the current file server
approach, we remove dependency artifacts older than a week to avoid this data accumulation
problem.

> 3.       Make my own custom IVY resolver that has audit trail support that can still
use a filesystem.  This is essentially the same as option #1 but the auditing is done in Java
code as part of the custom IVY resolver instead of ANT code in the master build script.

> Anybody out there have any opinions or suggestions?
>
> ---
> Shawn Castrianni

> This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information
and delete all copies of this message.