ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: How to add a complex project such as Spring or Hibernate to an ivy private Repository?
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 09:35:42 GMT

Le 7 mars 2011 à 07:54, Adib a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to add a complex project such as
> hibernate to a private ivy repository. I am starting with a
> hibernate.zip file downloaded from hibernate.org and it contains
> hibernate3.jar and the jpa jar should i be creating a single ivy.xml
> for all or hibernate in the repo with multiple configuration or should
> I be creating multiple modules one module for jpa api and one module
> for the hibernate3.jar ... etc.
>
> In the case of spring should be creating a single organization called
> springframework.org with multiple modules one module for each spring
> part or should be creating a single module called springframework and
> add all the various .jar files to it.

I'm not sure is there is any particular technical advantage to "split" rather than to "merge".
I think it just depends on the result size of the ivy.xml and the maintainability of the file.
I tend to prefer merge by default. One ivy.xml for one release for potentially many artifact
in that release. But for instance for spring, the release contains too many artifacts and
too many dependencies. For my private repo, I have preferred to split.

> Any advice on the ivy way is greatly appreciated. I know that ivy can
> use a maven repo but my goal is not create a maven repo, i want to
> create an ivy repo optimized for ivy. What are are the differences
> between an ivy repo and a maven repo?

Since you're using Ivy, an Ivy metadata are by definition well understood by Ivy. On the other
end maven metadata are not perfectly understood by ivy, so sometimes things might not work
as expected, just like in any transformation or translation.

You may be interested in this Ivy repository to help you building your own one:
http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/

Nicolas