ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Publishing C-module artifacts from different platforms
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:19:21 GMT
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you how I handle this.

I felt it was a bad idea to publish a partial module such that one platform's artifacts are
present and other are not.  If this happens because of a compiler error on one platform but
not others, then you can get into a bad situation.  Such as, someone saying that my new feature
works on linux but not on windows, not knowing that it works on linux because the new feature
was compiled successfully on that platform and he is using the new published module.  But
when he tries on windows, he is picking up on old published module since a new one with windows
artifacts is not present due to the compile error.  Stuff like that.

Therefore, what I do is just as you describe, using separate configuration for each platform.
 But then I use a good automated build system (QuickBuild 3.1) to wrap ivy commands.  So my
QB build workflow is:

0. randomly select a master build machine from the pool, let's call it MASTER
1. MASTER:  checkout source on any machine
2. MASTER:  tar up source
3. MASTER:  copy source to other platform build machines
4. EACH PLATFORM:  untar onto each of those machines
5. MASTER:  delete tar file
6. MASTER:  clean.all
7. MASTER:  ivy dependencies (specifying proper conf setting so that All platforms dependency
artifacts are downloaded)
8. MASTER:  perform java compile
9. MASTER:  copy dependencies and resulting jars from java compile to other platform build
machines
10: EACH PLATFORM:  perform native code build
11: EACH PLATFORM:  perform unit testing
12: EACH PLATFORM:  copy resulting artifacts from each platform machine to master machine
13: MASTER:  publish all platform artifacts at once

By using a good automated build system, you can easily handle this multi platform build workflow
and the hand off of control from one node to another.  Then the publishing ONLY happens if
ALL platforms are successful.  Therefore, I do not need the ability to publish a partial module.

I am sure there are other ways to do this and there is probably debate as to how efficient
this is, but it works very well in a production environment.  If this sounds like an advertisement
for QuickBuild, I apologize.  I do not work for them.  I am just a passionate happy customer.

---
Shawn Castrianni