ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From John Hite <jh...@appsecinc.com>
Subject RE: Add artifacts to a module already in a repository?
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 20:42:54 GMT
Thanks Steve and Valerie, I'll give it a shot. We are just setting up a repository and no one
is using it yet, so I won't need to worry about messing with version numbers. It seems that
no one is providing the license as an artifact, so I'll have to make this change for every
library I add to my repository. It seems strange that the license is not an artifact since,
for the majority of open source licenses, you have to distribute a copy of the license when
you re-distribute the library. This requirement has pretty much stopped us from using things
like ivy or maven since we would have to manually manage and include the licenses with our
final build. It may turn out to be too much work to add artifacts to all these libraries by
hand so it may still prevent us from using ivy. Anyway, thanks for the help!

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Valerie Wagner [mailto:valerie.wagner@sri.com]
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 2:45 PM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Add artifacts to a module already in a repository?

If you already have hibernate installed, and want to add an artifact that the original publishers
didn't include, you'll have to do it "by hand" by manually editing the ivy.xml for that module.
A couple of warnings:

(1) If anyone has already downloaded version X of your module and you modify it, those people
won't necessarily get the changes you made. So it would be a good idea to increment the version
number and "re-publish"
it. (You can manually copy the files/directories in your Ivy repository to make a new version.)

(2) Since the original authors didn't make this change, the next time you update to a new
version of hibernate, you'll have to go through the exercise again. In my experience, it's
hard to remember that you made manual changes, so you might want to leave yourself some hints/breadcrumbs/notes.
Also beware of changing a version number to one that hibernate might use next. You might consider
doing something like modifying the name of the module so you know it's not out-of-the-box,
like "hibernate-custom".

I'm also with you on wishing more orgs would include the license file!

cheers,
Valerie

John Hite wrote:
> I'm new to ivy. I've been going through the tutorials and trying to set up my own ivy
repository. I ran the build-a-repository sample and I am wondering if there is a way to manually
add artifacts to the repository? For example, I have hibernate in my ivy repository and I
would like to add the license file as an artifact. Is there a way to do this?