ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: introducing Ivy to Maven users--ideas?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:22:29 GMT
Mitch,

first of all, this seems a very interesting presentation topic. Is there any
chance you could share this presentation with us?

secondly, I think what Martin meant was this:

suppose your ivy.xml file contains a dynamic dependency declaration like:
<dependency org="org.apache" name="foo" rev="[1.0, 2.0[" />

If you publish this ivy.xml file to a repository, you can tell Ivy to replace
the dynamic revision with a static one.
So when at the time of publishing, the version of foo in the repository was
"1.8", the published ivy.xml will look like:
<dependency org="org.apache" name="foo" rev="1.8" />

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Mitch Gitman <mgitman@gmail.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 5:24:49 AM
Subject: Re: introducing Ivy to Maven users--ideas?

Martin, at the risk of turning this into the maven-user list, you can indeed
specify dynamic version constraints on Maven dependencies. See:
http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/pom-relationships-sect-version-ranges.html

Here's how you might specify the equivalent of 4.+ in Maven, though it's
admittedly a little more verbose:
[4.0,5.0)

And at least since Maven 2.1, you could assign a timestamp when you publish
a snapshot version to a remote repository, although it may not have been the
default. It is the default now with Maven 3.0, where you'd get something
like:
1.0-20110105.004018-1

Let me know if I'm misinterpreting your answer in some way.