ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mike Quilleash <mike.quille...@junifersystems.com>
Subject Ivy dependency revision for releasing vs development
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 16:18:42 GMT
Hi all,

In my company we have a core project "core" and many client specific projects "client1", "client2"
etc.  Each revision of a client project will depend on a specific version of the "core" project.

So I would have something like this...

      <dependency name="core" rev="1.0.0"/>

In the ivy.xml for my "client1".  This is all fine.

Now I if happen to be making a change to core and wanting to test client1 against it I do
the following.

- Change core
- Run core publish build step to publish to a local resolver
- Change client1 ivy.xml to latest.integration
- Run client1 retrieve build step to pull local version of core
- Test client1 with new core version

Now the bit I don't like is changing the ivy.xml.  I don't mind editing the file as such but
it's easy to check it back to source control with the revision set to latest.integration at
which point the next build will not be using 1.0.0 anymore.  In my mind the ivy.xml should
only be touched to change 1.0.0 -> 1.1.0 or similar.

How can I avoid touching the source-controlled copy of ivy.xml in the local build/publish/retrieve/test
cycle?  Can I perhaps in the client1 project have a file that is not in source control and
overrides the revision of a particular ivy dependency?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Mike.