ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Ole Langbehn <ole.langb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Setup open for review
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:40:04 GMT
Hi Mitch (et al),

thanks for the answer. Let me give you some more info:

Mitch Gitman wrote:
> I would recommend using ivy:cachepath over ivy:retrieve. With retrieve,
> you're doing an extra copy of the dependencies, which leaves you
> vulnerable to the files getting out of sync. Without seeing your Ivy
> settings, I can't say why things are slower on cachepath or retrieve.
> If I understand correctly, you're encountering this 11-second cost
> every time you do a compile. If that's the case, it would mean that Ivy
> is not trusting your cache at all and forcing a download every time.

No, that's not the case, ivy does not trigger a download from the remote
repositories, but takes that much extra time simply to resolve the
dependencies from the cache. A download takes AGES (since the main remote
repository is on a slow connection).

Maybe this is indeed a problem that only occurs on my machine, since on
other machines the resolve is quicker, maybe about 2-3 times.

> Regarding your other question, I would say it's generally regarded as a
> bad practice to place your confs and dependencies for the build in the
> same ivy.xml as the confs and dependencies for the current project.
> What you'll find is that the confs for the build almost never change
> across projects while the project confs do change. Even if you use
> standard project confs (core, compile, etc.), you'll find that the
> build dependencies never change from project to project while the
> project-proper dependencies do.
>
> The two alternatives I've seen out there to putting build dependencies
> in the ivy.xml are:
> * Give the build its own ivy.xml.

Is there any example for this?

> * Define each build dependency inline in the ivy:resolve as it's
> needed. Do inline="true".

Also not a bad idea.

Regards,

--
Ole Langbehn, Breitenfelder Str. 13c, 20251 Hamburg, +4917649802788