ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From neurolabs...@gmail.com
Subject Newbie Setup open for review
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:45:51 GMT
Hi,

we are using ivy in our project. Now I want to see if I understood the
concepts correctly and am using it as designed.

First I had it set up so that all libs used were provided by cachepath
calls. That lead to a lot of ant output and a minimal compile turnaround
of 11 seconds.

Now I am using a retrieve target that only gets triggered on changes to
the ivy.xml file. This is way fast, compile turnaround is down to 4
seconds. The downside is that dynamic revisions will not be picked up
automatically until you explicitly run the clean target.

In a perfect world I would like a fast build with dynamic revisions. Is
this possible?

Can anything else be improved with this setup?

Another question: libs that we use for ant targets only are organized in
confs. Is this the way it's supposed to be? This is an excerpt from our
ivy.xml:

    <configurations>

        <conf name="ant-checkstyle" visibility="private"
description="Abhängigkeiten für ant checkstyle task"/>
        <conf name="ant-cobertura" visibility="private"
description="Abhängigkeiten für ant cobertura tasks"/>
        [....]

        <conf name="core" visibility="private" description="Generelle
Abhängigkeiten der Software"/>
        <conf name="compile" extends="core" visibility="private"
description="Compilezeit-Abhängigkeiten der Software"/>
        <conf name="runtime" extends="core"
description="Laufzeit-Abhängigkeiten der Software"/>
        <conf name="test-runtime" extends="runtime" visibility="private"
description="Abhängigkeiten für Tests der Software"/>
        <conf name="test-compile" extends="compile" visibility="private"
description="Abhängigkeiten für Tests der Software"/>

    </configurations>

    <dependencies>

        <dependency org="com.puppycrawl.tools" name="checkstyle" rev="5.3"
conf="ant-checkstyle->default"/>
        <dependency org="cobertura" name="cobertura" rev="1.9.4.1"
conf="ant-cobertura->default"/>

        <!-- core -->
        <dependency org="org.hibernate" name="hibernate-core"
rev="3.6.0.Final" conf="core->default"/>
        [....]

    </dependencies>

Regards,

Ole