ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Miller <thatguy1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about documentation
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:55:18 GMT
See below:

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM, David Sills <DSills@datasourceinc.com> wrote:
> Alex:
>
> Thanks. That clarified a lot, as did actually going to the ivysettings
> file, grabbing the pattern, and substituting the values for organization
> and so forth from some of the dependencies in the ivy.xml file. The XML
> that my browser grabbed made things a good deal clearer and I see your
> point about the "->" operator.
>
> I would be happy to attempt to add something to the documentation that
> could make this point considerably clearer, if I can figure out how to
> use xooki.

No need to understand it, just open the index.htm file from your
filesystem, and the edit button will appear.
It's not great, but it works.

> So, if I understand you correctly, the whole thing depends on the public
> repositories maintaining their configuration structure? Essentially a
> naming convention? It would be bad form to make too many deletions of
> configurations. Or perhaps I missed your point?

This problem is a dependency management issue, not specifically an Ivy
issue. The convention that helps get around this is assuming that a
published module will not change, unless it changes versions. So if
you point to a specific version of commons-logging or something, the
configurations will never change. If they do, then blame the
publisher.

> And "default" being magic is also not perfectly obvious (merely quite
> obvious), but OK, so it's magic.
>
> One more question. I can understand Ivy as being really, really useful
> in two cases:
>
> 1. when your dependencies have transitive dependencies that you need to
> grab
> 2. when your dependency should be on some sort of dynamic version
> ("latest.xxx")
>
> When you have but a single literal version of a JAR and that JAR has no
> dependencies, what do you gain over simply getting the JAR file
> yourself? (Other, of course, than consistency in build practices)

If your project is simple, you don't need a DM tool. Once you do, yes,
it's consistent.

Two non-ivy specific advantages of dependency management I like are:
1) Since the artifacts are in a separate repository, you don't have to
commit them in source control (if you don't want to, since a repo
could be in a source control system).

2) You don't have to deal with copying jar files around, since you
separate the WHAT from the WHERE. Your ivy-settings.xml file defines
where repositories are. The ivy.xml file defines what dependencies you
need. So when I want to use another library (that is already in my
repo), I just modify the ivy.xml file and I get the dependency in my
ant build and my IDE (with a plugin).