ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "David Sills" <DSi...@datasourceinc.com>
Subject RE: How to exclude sources when building using Ant
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:42:33 GMT
Interesting, I'll look at those. I agree that if the copying could be
avoided, so much the better.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitch Gitman [mailto:mgitman@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 11:40 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to exclude sources when building using Ant

I recall suggesting on this list the introduction of an exclude-type
attribute on post-resolve tasks (retrieve, cachepath, cachefileset). But
certainly, the type attribute, which implicitly does an include, works
as
long as you know what types you want to include.

I do have to take issue one part of Steve's answer. While there's
nothing
literally wrong with it, I find the ivy:retrieve task to be an ungainly
compromise geared toward users who don't quite embrace or trust Ivy. The
retrieve task is introducing an extra middleman into the process by
copying
the files associated with a conf into a specified location when those
files
are already in the Ivy cache. So you have an extra set of files to
maintain
and invite synchronization/consistency problems with, which is only
mitigated somewhat by the use of the sync attribute. Worse, inevitably
if
you're doing anything slightly complicated with Ivy, which you're going
have to do if you're using Ivy in a real-world scenario, those extra
directories and trying to combine them just gets in the way.

Instead, for Ant I'd recommend ivy:cachepath and ivy:cachefileset.