ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "David Sills" <DSi...@datasourceinc.com>
Subject RE: Question about documentation
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:31:11 GMT
Alex:

Thanks. That clarified a lot, as did actually going to the ivysettings
file, grabbing the pattern, and substituting the values for organization
and so forth from some of the dependencies in the ivy.xml file. The XML
that my browser grabbed made things a good deal clearer and I see your
point about the "->" operator.

I would be happy to attempt to add something to the documentation that
could make this point considerably clearer, if I can figure out how to
use xooki.

So, if I understand you correctly, the whole thing depends on the public
repositories maintaining their configuration structure? Essentially a
naming convention? It would be bad form to make too many deletions of
configurations. Or perhaps I missed your point?

And "default" being magic is also not perfectly obvious (merely quite
obvious), but OK, so it's magic.

One more question. I can understand Ivy as being really, really useful
in two cases:

1. when your dependencies have transitive dependencies that you need to
grab
2. when your dependency should be on some sort of dynamic version
("latest.xxx")

When you have but a single literal version of a JAR and that JAR has no
dependencies, what do you gain over simply getting the JAR file
yourself? (Other, of course, than consistency in build practices)

Again, many thanks for your tolerance of what must seem silly questions,
but the answers are proving most enlightening.

David Sills