ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "David Sills" <DSi...@datasourceinc.com>
Subject RE: Question about documentation
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 17:03:20 GMT
Archie:

Thanks so much for your example. However, there's still a lot I don't
understand. Let's start with the (simple?) first thing:

    <dependencies>
        <dependency org="org.apache.log4j" name="log4j" rev="1.2.15"
conf="javac,test->default"/>
        <dependency org="net.sourceforge.jibx" name="jibx" rev="1.2.2"
conf="base->runtime-xpp3,extras;bind->bind"/>
        <dependency org="org.xmlpull.xpp3" name="xpp3" rev="1.1.3.4.O"
conf="javac->default"/>
    </dependencies>

I understand that this means:

1. There are 3 dependencies for the module.
2. The JAR file log4j-1.2.15 is required in some cases.
3. The JAR file jibx-1.2.2 is required in some cases.
4. The JAR file xpp3-1.1.3.4.0 is required in some cases.

After that, I part company from understanding.

It seems to me that the "conf" attribute means:

5. The JAR file log4j-1.2.15 is used in the javac and test
configurations. I have no idea at all what "->default" means, and the
discussion in the documentation has successfully confused my entire
office. Perhaps a bit of clarification might be possible?
6. The JAR file jibx-1.2.2 is required in the javac, test, and runtime
configurations by virtue of being required in base. What "bind->bind"
means is completely obscure. Again, what "->runtime-xpp3,extras" means
is also not clear - these are not configurations that are defined in
your file, so I would hazard a guess that they must be defined in some
Ivy file at the "net.sourceforge.jibx" organization in the Google code
repository (guessing based on ivysettings.xml). If this is correct, how
on earth can one keep track of other people's Ivy files, which I presume
may change at will?
7. The JAR file xpp3-1.1.3.4.0 is required in the javac configuration
(that is, not for runtime or test). Again, "javac->default" is not
clear, as no default is defined in this file (but may be somewhere else,
as before).

I understand quite well what the file is supposed to do - the overall
concept is clear, it's the little things, like this.

Any help would be gratefully received.

David Sills