ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Problems with "Resolve Dependencies in workspace"
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:15:40 GMT

Le 9 oct. 2010 à 00:00, Chris Geer a écrit :

> I have about 20 projects all building with ant and ivy just fine from the
> command line. I just imported them into eclipse and with "Resolve
> Dependencies in Workspace" turn OFF everything works great. All the
> dependencies are pulled in from the local repository and no errors. I would
> like to avoid having to publish/resolve every time I make a change to a
> project and make use of the Eclipse project links if possible however every
> time I turn on "Resolve Dependencies in Workspace" my projects suddenly
> can't find their linkages.
>
> Symptoms
> - Lots of "Unresolved reference" errors saying it can't find classes
> - When I enable the "Resolve Dependencies in workspace" feautre and watch
> the progress bar it seems like it doesn't take the dependencies into account
> when it re-builds the projects (don't know if that's an issue).
>
> Reasons why I think it should work
> - Some projects resolve just fine, some don't. For example, lets say I have
> project A, B and C. Both A and B are dependent on C. A will resolve C just
> fine but B will throw errors
> - Even on the projects with problems, if I expand the Ivy classpath
> container, I see the correct projects listed. So going on my example above,
> if I looked in project B I would see project C listed as a dependency
> however it will still say it can't find it.
> - If I edit a java file in project B (the one with problems) and start
> typing an import statement, auto-complete will show the classes from project
> C. As soon as I finish the statement it will underline it red and say it
> can't find it.
> - As soon as I turn off "Resolve Dependencies in workspace" all the errors
> go away.
>
> Any thoughts?

The workspace resolver is considering the ivy.xml files in you eclipse projects as a real
repository, so they need to be complete enough to make the transitive resolve work, thing
that doesn't happen in Ant. When building in Ant the ivy.xml in your project is just the root
of the dependencies.
Have you check this doc ? http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/history/latest-milestone/cpc/workspace.html

As wrote Levi, there is the dynamic resolve mode to setup too in your ivysettings. I'll add
it to the doc.

Nicolas