ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <>
Subject Re: Please vote: changing the default conflict manager
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:28:16 GMT
Glad to hear people are thinking about this and have opinions.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Mitch Gitman <> wrote:

> Frankly, I'm very happy that "latest-revision" is the default. I like it
> when a framework or component does the "dumb" or literal thing rather than
> the "smart" or magical thing. If you're being undisciplined about how you
> manage your dependencies, then I appreciate it that Ivy isn't automatically
> trying to think things through for you and bail you out.

Maybe that's my problem, I'm too disciplined about my dependencies :-)

To put it simply, here's what I don't like: I say rev="1.0" but ivy gives me
2.0 without any warning and for no good reason. I just think that's wrong.
If I wanted rev="[1.0,)" then I would have said that!

> Archie, isn't the example you give a classic case of why there's
> force="true"? And BTW, while I like that dependencies have a force option,
> chafe at using it. That's an indication to me that I don't have a full
> handle on my repository's dependency graphs.

Yes, force=true and other adjustments do indeed solve the problem. But with
ivy you only figure that stuff is even needed after you've been burned and
learned your lesson :-) My concern is for people who are just trying to
learn and use ivy and don't understand all the weird nooks and crannies. It
should behave reasonably for them... and (my opinion only of course) the
current behavior is not reasonable.

I suppose this problem could also be addressed with a big fat warning
somewhere in the documentation.

Archie L. Cobbs