ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Carl Myers <cmy...@palantir.com>
Subject Re: Please vote: changing the default conflict manager
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:22:14 GMT
Sadly, right now, it seems broke =(

To go ahead and give one anecdote, our dependency graphs are *very*
complicated.  We have two kinds of builds, "official" builds built by
our continuous build (and continuous release) process, and local
developer builds to "test before committing".

Because our continuous release is releasing all the time, a local build
fails because each module does its own resolve, which will resolve
different dependencies (since the dependencies are in a constant state
of flux).  If, however, latest-compatible was in use, then the correct
version should be used (because previously built modules would mean a
transitive dependency on 1.0 which would lock us into 1.0, even though
1.1 has been released since the start of the build).

Our usecase is probably atypical, very few people have dependency graphs
as complex as ours, but it is a data point for you.  We use strict
dependency checking in our continuous build (and wherever possible) but
we really need latest-compatible for our local builds for the above reasons.

-Carl

--
Carl Myers
Palantir Technologies | Internal Tools Software Engineer