ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Bailey, Darragh" <dbai...@hp.com>
Subject RE: Jar file type naming conventions?
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:05:57 GMT

<snip orig post>

> This topic should deserve a page in the doc, you're right.
>
> IvyDE will resolve the dependencies and artifacts you are
> requiring. Then with the pool of resolved artifacts, it has
> to decide which is a binary jar, which contains sources, and
> which contains javadocs.
> For the binaries jars, it is relying on the "Accepted types":
> if the artifact has a type listed here, it is then added to
> the classpath.
> For the sources, it is relying on the "Sources types".
> For the javadocs, it is relying on the "Javadocs types".
>
> The second step is to bind a source artifact with a binary one.
> First if a binary jar has the same artifact name than a
> source one, there are bind together.
> If none matched, then IvyDE search for sources which have one
> of the suffix specified in "Sources suffixes".
> For instance, searching for the sources of mylib.jar
> (type=jar), IvyDE will look to bind it to the first one existing of:
> * mylib.jar (type=source)
> * mylib-source.jar (type=source)
> * mylib-sources.jar (type=source)
> * mylib-src.jar (type=source)
>
> Note that IvyDE don't care about the extension, it can be .zip too.
>
> Same apply for javadocs with respectively "Javadocs suffixes".
>
> It is enough clear, I'll probably use what I just wrote as the doc :)
>
> Nicolas

Actually I found what I was looking for in the ivy documentation.

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/terminology.html#artifact

I was looking for what naming scheme was being followed for the different types of artifacts,
but I couldn't seem to find any definitive standard. The documentation points out that it's
left up to the module creator.

All I was really looking for was some examples of uses other than the standard ones for sources/jars
so I could see if there was any already defined types that would suit some additional files
that I need to add to an internal repository.

--
Regards,
Darragh Bailey