ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: making an SCM managed copy of your external artifacts
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:37:05 GMT
On 10/08/10 18:31, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> As a side note, I do the same thing with RPM's. We have an internal RPM
> repository plus the public openSUSE ones. Internal RPM builds publish to the
> internal RPM repository. openSUSE's zypper(1) command functions like ivy but
> in the RPM world. RPM dependencies function like ivy dependencies. RPM spec
> files are like ivy.xml files. These two parallel universes are very
> analogous.

I create RPMS too, here are some of the things I have to do it against
artifacts from outside and published locally with ivy

Ivy file to pull in the published stuff of other projects
http://smartfrog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smartfrog/trunk/core/release/ivy.xml?revision=8363&view=markup

a .spec file which at build time is copied with property expansion, so
every artifact gets its right versions.

http://smartfrog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smartfrog/trunk/core/release/metadata/rpm/smartfrog.spec?revision=8363&view=markup

The rpm build file is
http://smartfrog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smartfrog/trunk/core/release/build.xml?revision=8363&view=markup

There's some cuteness here as we test against a linux VM (centos and
java6) by scp-ing up the artifacts, then doing various RPM status checks
(which would be easier if the commands returned error codes), and by
issuing remote commands on the server to verify things got stuck on the
path and actually work. If I was really devious I'd actually snapshot
the VM on every release, so as to test rpm upgrades, but they scare me
so I don't do that, instead I say "we prefer clean installs".

-steve