ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Kirby Files <Kirby.Fi...@masergy.com>
Subject Re: Looking for suggestion on publishing artifacts for different environments
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:55:58 GMT
Tim Brown wrote on 08/11/2010 02:19 PM:
> Apologies for not answering your specific question, but...
>
> Don't do that!
>
> Externalize your configuration and produce a single binary for all
> environments.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the question. I don't think Simon
was intending on embedding different configurations into his artifacts
intended for different environments.

Rather, I think that, like most of us, he has different development
phases, in which it may not be appropriate to use the
latest.integration, SNAPSHOT, etc. Sometimes the publication status
isn't enough to handle the complexity of different dev, qa, and
production builds.

Personally, I use a single repo and use publication status to retrieve
the artifact appropriate to the development phase, but I can see how
in a larger enterprise, the situation may be more complicated.

Thanks,
--kirby