ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Bailey, Darragh" <dbai...@hp.com>
Subject repeatable integration builds?
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:36:37 GMT

Wondering how people setup for repeatable integration builds using ivy.

I'm currently reading through some of the documentation that I skimmed over previously when
I put together a simple mirror repository for external projects that we are using. http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/bestpractices.html
in particular the section "Dealing with integration versions".

Now I need to start handling the inter project dependencies a bit better, particular as the
number of components increase. In the section "Dealing with integration versions", I'm leaning
towards using the second option "automatically create a new version for each", however I'm
not sure how to handle making sure that the version constraints put in place allow for repeatable
builds.

For head of tree builds, using 'latest.integration' seems fine. But I see that falling down
if someone wishes to build older releases in order to retest bugs.

Example
SVN tree @ revision 2000
QA need a build of revision 900 to test for a particular bug, the existing one has been pruned,
so will need a fresh build
Tree consists of components A, B and C where both A and B rely on C. Build order is something
that I'll have to work out with the continuous integration software I'm using.
How do I ensure that that components A & B, don't use a build of C that is newer that
svn revision 900?

It seems that I'm likely to either
i) include the svn revision as part of the version number of each integration release and
have the continuous integration software set the svn revision used as a property at build
time. And code the version constratins to use this revision as a max limit? (seems very svn
centric as it relies on numerically increasing repository revision strings)
ii) or when rebuilding older builds create a temporary repository that is used instead and
have all components build and publish to this repository. Thus the components with dependencies
can just reference the latest.integration release from the temporary repository which will
be guarenteed to include binaries only from the same source repository revision

Any other options, or am I missing something in ivy that will make this easier to handle?

--
Regards,
Darragh Bailey

Systems Software Engineer
Hewlett Packard Galway Ltd.

Postal Address:    Hewlett Packard Galway Limited, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway
Registered Office: Hewlett Packard Galway Limited, 63-74 Sir John Rogerson's Quay Dublin 2
Registered Number: 361933