ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Derek Baum <derek.b...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: OSGI and IVY
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:21:04 GMT
The fundamental difference between OSGi versioning and Ivy (or Maven)
versioning is that OSGi uses package-versioning:

Import-Package: org.apache.log4j; version="[1.2.15,1.3)"

whereas Ivy uses artifact-versioning:

<dependency org="org.apache.log4j" name="com.springsource.org.apache.log4j"
rev="1.2.15" />

(OSGi also supports bundle-versioning, but it is not generally considered
good practice to use it: Import-Bundle: com.springsource.org.apache.log4j;
version="[1.2.15,1.2.15]")

This typically means that you have to specify your dependencies twice:

   - first at build-time, using artifact versions
   - again at run-time using package versions (in the bundle manifest)

The Apache Felix Sigil project (
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-sigil.html) provides an Ivy
integration with OBR repositories. (It also provides Eclipse IDE
integration, but the Ivy integration can be used separately).

Sigil provides a custom Ivy parser and Ivy resolver which transparently
augment the artifact dependencies in ivy.xml by resolving OSGi
Import-Package dependencies against OBR repositories.

This means that typically you don't need to explicitly list any artifact
dependencies in ivy.xml, as they are automatically determined by Sigil from
the Import-Package dependencies.

Sigil also includes an Ant  "bundle" task, which builds the actual OSGi
bundles, using bndlib.

--
Derek