ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Michael Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com>
Subject "Portable" Ivy
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:09:00 GMT
By "Portable" here I mean in the form of
PortableApps<http://www.portableapps.com>:
applications which can be run straight off of a portable storage device
(like a USB stick) without leaving any footprint behind on the machine it's
used on.  I've managed to get a surprising amount of software working off of
the USB stick including, for example, Maven.  I can't seem to figure out the
same trick for Ivy.

The big issue for me is Ivy's repository.  I can't seem to find some way to
have Ivy use a repository whose location might change from invocation to
invocation.  The problem is that depending on the physical configuration my
Ivy installation (and attendant repository) might be on a different drive
each time.  With Maven I've managed to set up environment variables that
identify the drive and location of the Maven environment so that every time
I open up a command shell through my PortableApps menu I have Maven looking
in the right place for its repository.  I can't seem to figure out how to do
the same in Ivy.

The big problem for me is that I just can't see anywhere--like an
environment variable or command line options--I can TELL Ivy where things
are.  Everything seems to go from XML files that are in a per-project basis.
 Yet the tutorial mentions in passing setting an environment variable to
configure things -- it just neglects to mention which one.

Is there a way to do what I want with Ivy and if so, what is this method?

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.