ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: OSGI and IVY
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:28:58 GMT
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Shawn Castrianni <

> Has anybody researched the relationship between OSGI and IVY?  I have a
> large build system running on IVY and is working great.  However,
> development wants to move towards an OSGI runtime framework which impacts
> how the modules are built.  I am trying to figure out how I can merge in
> OSGI bundle creation with my IVY based build system.
>
> I am finding that the dependency mechanism and publish mechanism in OSGI is
> fighting with the same concepts in IVY.  Therefore, I am not making any
> progress on this OSGI project.

I'm curious about this too but haven't acquired any wisdom on the answer
yet.

There is this concept of OBR - OSGi bundle repository. For example,
Oscar<http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/>and the OSGi
site has one <http://www.osgi.org/Repository/HomePage>. I'm not sure yet if
this OBR concept is just for local stuff (it says "federated") or if there
is going to be some kind of master/top authority from which to delegate,
i.e., like how DNS works (in fact, no reason the DNS system could be used as
a way to locate repositories, e.g., "_osgibundlerepository.domain.com").

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs