ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: OSGI and IVY
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:10:50 GMT
On Wednesday 21 July 2010 19:19:14 Martin Weber wrote:
> Am 21.07.2010 15:07, schrieb Nicolas Lalevée:
>
> [...]
>
> >> The main limitations of Ivy/Ant to build OSGI-bundles are caused by the
> >> structure of bundles from the dependencies (at compile time):
> >> 1) bundle jar with classes/resources: This can be handled by Ivy/Ant.
> >> 2) a bundle jar that contains other jars: the Java compiler will not
> >> look at the inner jars.
> >> 3) the bundle is a directory with jars and other files: Bundles of this
> >> structure can neither be published nor retrieved by Ivy.
> >>
> >> With structure 2 and 3 you will have difficulties to construct a
> >> class-path for the java compiler.
> >
> > I think thoses issues are more related to the compiler than the
> > dependency management. And 3 is just an "unzipped" view of 2. That's why
> > to build Eclipse plugins (which are OSGi bundles), you have to use the
> > Eclipse Ant runtime and builder.
>
> I'm not very happy with the Eclipse Ant builder (aka headless build). It
> will work only if it can find the _sources_ of dependend bundles. It
> does not accept any bundles that are already built and packaged as a jar
> and have been retrieved by Ivy.

I have managed to tel Eclipse to find some of the required dependencies
(Eclipse call them plugins) in a specific folder, without making Eclipse
building it. Look at the pluginPath attribute of the eclipse.buildScript
task.

I understand though that it would not be your first tool of choice. The
Eclipse builder is not quite easy to customize and ant must be launched
within its runtime, this can make build engineering quite some hell...

Nicolas