ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alan Chaney <a...@writingshow.com>
Subject Re: conf mapping documentation contradicts itself
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 23:59:08 GMT
Niklas Matthies wrote:
> The problem is that the word "dependency" is often used to mean
> "dependent module", i.e. the target of the dependency. For example
> just yesterday there was "build a dependency from source control",
> which of course was about building a dependent module, not building
> a dependency relationship.
>
> I always found this use of "dependency" to be confusing, although
> I've somewhat gotten used to it by now.
>
>   
I totally agree. In fact, in the end, I gave up trying to understand 
exactly what was meant in the docs, but simply copied things that worked!

I think that the documentation would probably be greatly improved by 
some examples - I'd offer to do it, but I'd need some help!

Regards

Alan



> -- Niklas Matthies
>
> On Tue 2010-05-04 at 16:46h, Archie Cobbs wrote on ivy-user:
>   
>> Cool... if someone read it wrong then by definition it's confusing and can
>> be improved.
>>
>> -Archie
>>
>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM, mjparme <mjparmeley@west.com> wrote:
>>
>>     
>>> Yeah, I think I am just reading it oddly. When you say "The ivy file
>>> defining
>>> the dependency" you are meaning the ivy file where  the relationship to the
>>> dependency is defined whereas I was reading it as the ivy file defining the
>>> artifact of the dependency (i.e. the other ivy.xml file).
>>>
>>> I think that is where my disconnect was.
>>>
>>> I am probably just being a dumb ass, it happens on occasion.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Archie Cobbs-3 wrote:
>>>       
>>>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM, mjparme <mjparmeley@west.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>         
>>>>> The reason the current verbiage of "master configuration (i.e. the
>>>>> configuration of the module defining the dependency)" is confusing
>>>>> because
>>>>> it reads like it is talking about the ivy file that defines the
>>>>> dependency.
>>>>> Whereas the first sentence defines master configuration as the ivy file
>>>>> of
>>>>> the current module.
>>>>>
>>>>>           
>>>> Seems like there's still confusion about what the docs intended to
>>>>         
>>> mean...
>>>       
>>>> The ivy file defining the dependency *is* the ivy file of the current
>>>> module. Here the word "dependency" is referring to a relationship between
>>>> two modules. So there are three things being defined here: two modules
>>>>         
>>> and
>>>       
>>>> a
>>>> dependency.
>>>>
>>>> The dependency is defined inside the "master" module's ivy.xml file. The
>>>> module being depended on is of course defined by it's ivy.xml file (i.e.,
>>>> the other ivy.xml file). So modules "know" what they depend on, but
>>>> modules
>>>> don't "know" who depends on them.
>>>>
>>>> -Archie
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Archie L. Cobbs
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>         
>>> --
>>> View this message in context:
>>> http://old.nabble.com/conf-mapping-documentation-contradicts-itself-tp28450261p28453344.html
>>> Sent from the ivy-user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>>
>>>
>>>       
>> -- 
>> Archie L. Cobbs
>>     
>
>
>
> !DSPAM:4be0a343282454221013052!
>
>   


Mime
View raw message