ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From mjparme <mjparme...@west.com>
Subject conf mapping documentation contradicts itself
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 16:54:10 GMT

The documentation regarding the syntax of the -> operator for conf mapping is
unnecessarily confusing and in fact contradicts itself. IMHO, it needs to
better define what it means by the master configuration and what is the
dependency configuration.

Documentation is located here and the relevent section is Configuration
Mapping:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/dependency.html

First sentence reads: "This mapping indicates which configurations of the
dependency are required in which configurations of the current module, also
called master configurations."

This suggests that the master configuration is the "configuration of the
current module" which I assume is the ivy module file I am currently looking
at.

However, later it says: "A good way to remember which side is for the master
configuration (i.e. the configuration of the module defining the dependency)
and which side is for the dependency configuration is to read the '->' as
'depends on'."

Now this suggests that the master configuration is the configuration of the
module of the artifact I am declaring as a dependency.

This totally contradicts the first sentence of the section and this
documentation is totally ambiguous.

Could someone clarify this for me? Is it:

configuration of module file I am currently looking at -> (depends on)
configuration from artificat's module file

or

configuration from artifact's module file -> (depends on) configuration of
module file I am currently looking at

The first option makes more sense to me, so that is what I think it is.