ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Getting IvyDE to use multiple ivy.xmls within a single Eclipse project
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 22:27:53 GMT
As far as I know, IvyDE can handle multiple ivy.xml files per project.
You can simply add them one by one to the build path of your Eclipse project.

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Hin Chua <hinius@gmail.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Mon, May 17, 2010 8:33:46 PM
Subject: Getting IvyDE to use multiple ivy.xmls within a single Eclipse  project

Hi there,

We are in the process of migrating a convoluted and slightly insane Ant
build system to Ivy.
The initial goal is to minimise disruption to our codebase while reducing
the amount of custom Ant script.

We have several projects laid out in the following configuration. In this
layout, an Eclipse project has multiple sub-projects, each of which are
represented as sub directories with their own dedicated ivy.xml and
build.xml files

Eclipse Project

|--ivy.xml & build.xml

    |--Subdirectory A (Sub project A)
    |    |
    |    |-- ivy.xml & build.xml for Sub project A

    |--Subdirectory B (Sub project B)
    |    |
    |    |-- ivy.xml & build.xml for Sub project B

    |--Subdirectory C (Sub project C)
    |    |
    |    |-- ivy.xml & build.xml for Sub project C
While this structure is clearly evil, we can successfulyl build using Ivy:
the top-level build.xml invokes each sub-project's build.xml in turn. The
top-level ivy.xml doesn't contain any dependencies: these are defined within
each sub-project's ivy.xml

Where this falls down is when when a developer is using Eclipse and IvyDE.
IvyDE seems to expect (rightly so) a single ivy.xml per Eclipse project.
However, in the project structure described above:

   - The "main" ivy.xml doesn't contain any dependencies
   - Each sub-project's ivy.xml contains only the dependencies required to
build the sub-project in question. So IvyDE can't get a full dependency list
to populate Eclipse's classpath, resulting in a lot of errors.

Now there are obviously some clear solutions to this problem:

(1) Make each sub-project a stand-alone Eclipse project (that would be the
sane thing to do)
(2) Maintain the dependency list for the sub-projects in the top-level
ivy.xml

We're just not in a position to do (1) at the moment, and we will resort to
(2) if necessary.

But I was wondering, is there any way IvyDE to associate MULTIPLE ivy.xmls
with a single project? (that way, IvyDE can build the complete dependency
list necessary to populate the Eclipse classpath). I apologise, I apologise,
I feel dirty just asking this question. Or is there perhaps another
alternative option I may not be aware of?

Many thanks (and I emphasise MANY) in advance,
Hin