ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: publishing via http
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 06:25:48 GMT
How did you enable the PUT requests in Apache?

I think the mod_put modules listed here might create the missing directories:
http://www.gknw.net/development/apache/httpd-2.0/unix/modules/

I couldn't try them though, so I might be mistaken...

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael Shea <mike@nitido.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Tue, April 6, 2010 5:58:46 PM
Subject: Re: publishing via http

Hi Maarten,

Yes, my apache server is configured to accept HTTP PUT requests.

I've done some debugging using curl to PUT files on the server, and
yeah, it looks like the server doesn't create the required
subdirectories. So... Is creating the necessary subdirectories (or
"collections", in webdav-speak?) when receiving a PUT request a standard
thing that webservers do? I presume that it isn't.

So the question I have is:

Is this a "bug" in Ivy, that Ivy doesn't send the necessary MKCOL
commands first? Or is this something that is undesirable to have Ivy do
for some reason? I know that there's the VFS stuff as well, presumably
that would issue the MKCOL commands. It's not really an option for me
though, since I want to use this in a production environment where we
require stability, and we're not too keen on using projects that haven't
ever actually been released (ie: commons-vfs).

Anyway - it just looks to me like the usefulness of using URL resolvers
for publishing is severely limited, given that what Ivy actually tries
to do when doing an http publish isn't supported by Apache webserver
without writing a custom put-script. Maybe if it's not a bug, something
in the docs would be useful?

Mike Shea.

> Is your apache server configured to accept HTTP PUT requests?
> If so, mabye you should use another put-script that creates the missing directories?
>
> Maarten

HTTP/1.1" 401 224 "-" "Apache Ivy/2.1.0"
> 192.168.13.68 - testdeveloper1@nitido.com [01/Apr/2010:17:38:56 -0400] "HEAD /lib/nitido/project24/1.0.0.0/zips/project24-resources.zip
HTTP/1.1" 404 163 "-" "Apache Ivy/2.1.0"
> 192.168.13.68 - - [01/Apr/2010:17:38:56 -0400] "PUT /lib/nitido/project24/1.0.0.0/zips/project24-resources.zip
HTTP/1.1" 401 741 "-" "Apache Ivy/2.1.0"
> 192.168.13.68 - testdeveloper1@nitido.com [01/Apr/2010:17:38:56 -0400] "PUT /lib/nitido/project24/1.0.0.0/zips/project24-resources.zip
HTTP/1.1" 403 538 "-" "Apache Ivy/2.1.0"
> </snip>
>
> It looks to me like it's trying to just run a PUT without creating the necessary subdirectories
first...?

> I've also tried messing around with the vfs resolver (compiled my own commons-vfs jar,
based on the 1.0 tag from the vfs svn repo), but I didn't have any luck with it.

> I haven't found much about this on google... bits and pieces here and there, but nothing
that has really helped me yet. Is what I am trying to do even possible currently? Or should
I just abandon this approach, and set up an FTP server to handle publishing instead? =)