ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: using ivy for non-java dependencies
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:03:47 GMT
Yes, this is very possible.  I currently manage the build system for a large enterprise and
I use ant and ivy to manage all of it.  I am sure you can search this group's history to see
some of my recent posts that describe some of my build system.  The summary is that I support
3 platforms (windows, linux, and solaris) and use ivy configurations to subdivide the platform
specific artifacts of every module.  This allows someone building on windows to only download
the windows artifacts of his dependencies since the linux and solaris artifacts are useless
to him.  I use ant's <exec> and <cpptask> to build my native code and, of course,
<javac> to build my java code.  I can't recommend ant/ivy highly enough!  It works beautifully
supporting millions of lines of code, hundreds of modules with complex interdependencies,
tens of simultaneous releases, 5 sites worldwide, and hundreds of developers.

Most people in this email group seem to use Hudson.  I personally prefer QuickBuild 2.1 to
perform all the automated builds, but this topic is for another email group.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Clarke, Trevor [mailto:tclarke@ball.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:55 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: using ivy for non-java dependencies

I work on an application primarily written in C++ and we've been
searching for a better dependency management system. We'll have to write
something if we can't find a suitable alternative.

Looking at ivy, it appears to have all the features we need (transitive
dependencies, multiple package repository support, multiple
configuration support, etc.) However, I'm wondering if I can use it for
non-java projects. We have a bunch of .zip files with pre-built
libraries and include files. We'd need to have ivy download and unzip
them to a workspace where our existing build system can locate them. Is
this something that's easy to accomplish? Where should I start looking?
I've read enough to believe that the standalone ivy (without ant) is
probably what I need but I'm not sure how to go about configuring ivy to
perform the unzip.

Trevor R.H. Clarke
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp
Opticks, Free Your Imagery (http://opticks.org)
GPG key available on random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de

and delete all copies of this message.