ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Sharing Ivy settings file amongst developpers
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:37:30 GMT
I chose checking the ivysettings files into an SCM repo "buildtools" so that I could recreate
a past build if ever needed.  If you don't version them, you don't know what state they were
in at the time a build took place.  We can store the subversion repo number of our ivysettings
repo "buildtools" along with our module builds to have complete traceability back to source
code.

Also, our main bat/sh scripts, that kick off the build that are also contained within the
"buildtools" repo, check if the user's "buildtools" sandbox is uptodate and will update for
them.  This way, my users always have the latest version of the ivysettings files without
having to put them on a website.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Steele, Richard [mailto:rich@steelezone.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:57 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sharing Ivy settings file amongst developpers

Same here.  We rejected putting in the SCM repo because we want our settings
shared across all projects, and at this company each project is in its own
repo.

We also have a shared (common) set of configurations that projects can
include, as well as the ivy.jar file on the same server.

You should consider whether you want to version the settings file or not.
There are tradeoffs here; version it and every project eventually needs to
make changes to ensure they're using the latest, don't version it and
possibly break builds at unexpected moments (if, for example, the repo names
in the settings file change).

Rich