ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Sharing Ivy settings file amongst developpers
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:25:36 GMT

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: normand gagnon [mailto:letrait@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:15 PM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Sharing Ivy settings file amongst developpers

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to manage ivy settings file.  My two main goals are
"build reproducibility" and provide a standard way within the enterprise to
resolve dependencies.  I want to have your thoughts on this,  do you use a
single ivy settings file for all your enterprise modules? Or are every
projects having their own ivy settings? Ar you committing settings file in a
SCM (and therefore, when building past versions of a given project, you are
using the ivy setting file that was in use at that time)?

Or maybe, you are giving a "template" of an ivy settings file to each
developer and you let them manage it as they want in their IDE, but when it
is time to publish a new module, they are forced to use a central build
system (or publishing is in fact managed by a continuous integration server
like Hudson)?

My idea is to let developer manages their own ivysettings file, which could
include another "enterprise-scope" ivysettings file, for the whole
development process.  To publish new "public" release, then I would use a
central build system which would use an "official" ivysettings file that
would be used for all modules under the same branch.  This to insure that
the dependencies are always resolved the same way when released publicly, so
you won't find in the public repository modules that were published
differently by different developers who were using different ivysettings
file.

Normand

and delete all copies of this message.