ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use ivy-dependencies to create ant-tasks
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:27:51 GMT
Marc:
The approach I've seen and I like is to use one Ivy module descriptor for
the project proper and another one for the build. So, if you're just calling
your ivy.xml ivy.xml, you might have:
* ivy.xml: project-proper dependencies
* build-ivy.xml: build dependencies

To me, the really compelling reason for creating this separation is that
you'll probably find that your build dependencies rarely vary between
projects while your project dependencies are very much project-specific. So
you're better off copying a common build-ivy.xml or build.ivy into each
project--or better yet, consuming a single copy from a common location--than
you are always copying those build dependencies into your ivy.xml.

And what you'll find happening too if you put your build dependencies in
your project ivy.xml is that the former could end up swamping the latter
since there are many projects that just don't need a lot of dependencies.
And for those projects that do, having all those build dependencies in there
too makes the module descriptor that much more complicated, even though you
can follow conventions to clearly state which dependencies belong to the
build.

There are various nice things you can do to further enforce this separation
between project and build dependencies. Anyway, this should get you going...