ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: advanced ivy retrieve syntax
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:11:39 GMT
Shawn, this feature request is subtly different from configuration
intersection in that it's being specified on the depended-upon module rather
than on the dependent, which is the case with configuration intersection.

Remember last year there had been some discussion of introducing
configuration intersection on the dependency, the publishing module, as a
way of avoiding having to write arbitrary compound confs. I'd supported this
idea, but I realize why perhaps it's not a good idea--because it's
implicitly introducing an extra interface that nine times out of 10 the
publishing module doesn't want.

Frankly, I do think there's value in introducing a concept like a filter,
some extra parameter that can further weed out artifacts beyond what confs
do. This is not unlike the platform attribute proposal Jeffrey Sinclair
made, to which dek577 here linked.

The only modification I would make to this feature request, and it's a
significant one, is that this concept of a filter be introduced at the conf
level, so that it's available when specifying dependencies or when doing an
ivy:resolve--rather than its being associated with post-resolve tasks like
ivy:retrieve and ivy:cachefileset. I think you get into an un-kosher mixing
of concerns when do additional weeding out with post-resolve tasks. Probably
the syntax of this wouldn't be that complicated:
<artifact name="libzlib" type="lib" ext="lib" conf="compile,release"
filters="static"/>

And on a dependency, you could specify filters in addition to conf.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Shawn Castrianni <