ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mitch Gitman <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: advanced ivy retrieve syntax
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 19:23:38 GMT
dek577, since no one else has gotten back to you yet, let me take a stab at
this.

I'm one to argue that, even though there's nothing literally wrong with
using ivy:retrieve, its use suggests that you haven't quite fully embraced
Ivy. The ivy:retrieve task is creating duplicate copies of your artifacts,
which already exist in the Ivy cache. And those copies are inevitably going
to be used to manually create a path or fileset when you could just use
ivy:cachepath or ivy:cachefileset directly against the results of
ivy:resolve. Plus, you invite potential inconsistencies between your
destination directory for retrieves and the contents of the Ivy repo where
the latter should be your artifact location of record.

Setting that concern aside, what strikes me as an indication of not fully
embracing an Ivy paradigm is your wish to grab a subset of your
dependencies. This wish suggests that your dependencies are not fine-grained
enough. The Ivy-centric answer, IMO, is to make your dependencies
finer-grained--give those dependencies more precise Ivy confs. If you can't
because you don't control those dependencies, then this is an argument for
rethinking how you consume them.

To offer an analogy, suppose you have two power tools: a chainsaw and a
drill. And someone explains to you what each tool is used for. And you say,
"But what if I want to do drilling with the chainsaw? How would I do that?"
Well, you wouldn't. That's what you have the drill for.