ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Annoying timeout errors with Spring bundle repository.
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:11:41 GMT
I tried it myself and I don't have this kind of problem. Do you connect through a proxy server?
>From the log I see that you have commons-httpclient in your ivy classpath. Could you remove
commons-httpclient from your ivy classpath and try again?

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Tero <tero_t_vaananen@hotmail.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Thu, March 18, 2010 6:57:44 PM
Subject: Annoying timeout errors with Spring bundle repository.

I am getting really strange  timeout exceptions when trying to pull artifacts
from the Spring bundle Ivy repository. I am using a setup they recommend:

    <resolvers>
        <chain name="main" returnFirst="true">

            <!-- Spring Source repositories -->

            <url name="com.springsource.repository.bundles.release">
                <ivy

pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"/>
                <artifact

pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"
                />
            </url>

            <url name="com.springsource.repository.bundles.external">
                <ivy

pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"/>
                <artifact

pattern="http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"
                />
            </url>
               </chain>
            </resolvers>

The problem seems to be that in cases when artifact is not in the release
repo, it should move to try the external repo.

Here I am pulling Spring framework core jar, which works because the release
repo has it.

Ivy then proceeds to pull the dependencies of that; the release repo does
not have Commons Logging, and there is a CLIENT ERROR for the Ivy file. Ivy
then attempts to pull the Logging Jar, and hangs for 5 minutes!!!

I have tried the Jar URL in Fiddler and it returns with HTTP 404
immediately, which it should because this Jar is not in release repo.
However, for some reason Ivy does not seem to deal with this correctly and
hangs on some HTTP Client retry timer. Once that timer triggers, the Logging
Jar is attempted again from the first repo (not the next one), and we hang
another 5 minutes. Ivy then decides that we are done retrying and FINALLY
moves to the next repository which has the artifacts that I need!

This is utter pain. Each access attempt results into 10 minutes of waiting.
Considering the number of artifacts I have to download this could last weeks
before I have everything I need from these repos.

I am not saying that the problem is in IVY, but I am hoping someone knows a
solution, or is able to tell if I am doing something wrong here. I am ready
to tear my hair out! :)

Debug log:

[ivy:install]     checking
org.springframework#org.springframework.core;3.0.1.RELEASE-A from
com.springsource.repository.bundles.release against [none]
[ivy:install]     module revision kept as first found:
org.springframework#org.springframework.core;3.0.1.RELEASE-A from
com.springsource.repository.bundles.release
[ivy:install]     found
org.springframework#org.springframework.core;3.0.1.RELEASE-A in
com.springsource.repository.bundles.release
Finding class org.apache.ivy.core.resolve.IvyNodeUsage$Depender
Loaded from D:\SVN\dataservices\build\lib\ivy-2.1.0.jar
org/apache/ivy/core/resolve/IvyNodeUsage$Depender.class
Class org.apache.ivy.core.resolve.IvyNodeUsage$Depender loaded from ant
loader (parentFirst)
[ivy:install] == resolving dependencies
apache#ivy-install;1.0->org.springframework#org.springframework.core;3.0.1.RELEASE-A
[default->aspects]
[ivy:install] loadData of
org.springframework#org.springframework.core;3.0.1.RELEASE-A of
rootConf=default
[ivy:install] == resolving dependencies
org.springframework#org.springframework.core;3.0.1.RELEASE-A->org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1
[compile->compile]
Finding class org.apache.ivy.core.settings.IvySettings$3
Loaded from D:\SVN\dataservices\build\lib\ivy-2.1.0.jar
org/apache/ivy/core/settings/IvySettings$3.class
Class org.apache.ivy.core.settings.IvySettings$3 loaded from ant loader
(parentFirst)
[ivy:install] loadData of
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1 of
rootConf=default
[ivy:install]     using main to resolve
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1
[ivy:install] main: Checking cache for: dependency:
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1
{compile=[compile], commons-logging=[compile]}
[ivy:install]     no ivy file in cache for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1: tried
C:\Users\tvaananen\.ivy2\cache\org.apache.commons\com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging\ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]     no ivy file in cache for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1: tried
C:\Users\tvaananen\.ivy2\cache\org.apache.commons\com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging\ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]      trying
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]         tried
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install] HTTP response status: 404
url=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install] CLIENT ERROR: Not Found
url=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]     com.springsource.repository.bundles.release: resource not
reachable for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1:
res=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
Finding class org.apache.ivy.plugins.resolver.BasicResolver$3
Loaded from D:\SVN\dataservices\build\lib\ivy-2.1.0.jar
org/apache/ivy/plugins/resolver/BasicResolver$3.class
Class org.apache.ivy.plugins.resolver.BasicResolver$3 loaded from ant loader
(parentFirst)
[ivy:install]      trying
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging-1.1.1.jar
[ivy:install]         tried
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging-1.1.1.jar

HANGS HERE FOR 5 MINUTES OR SO!!! Then RETRY!

Finding class org.apache.log4j.spi.LocationInfo
Loaded from D:\SVN\dataservices\build\lib\log4j-1.2.8.jar
org/apache/log4j/spi/LocationInfo.class
Class org.apache.log4j.spi.LocationInfo loaded from ant loader (parentFirst)
Finding class com.ibm.uvm.tools.DebugSupport
[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       438 ) I/O exception
(org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
processing request: The server repository.springsource.com failed to respond
[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       444 ) Retrying request
[ivy:install] HTTP response status: 404
url=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging-1.1.1.jar
[ivy:install] CLIENT ERROR: Not Found
url=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging-1.1.1.jar
[ivy:install]     com.springsource.repository.bundles.release: resource not
reachable for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1:
res=http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/release/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging-1.1.1.jar
[ivy:install]     com.springsource.repository.bundles.release: no ivy file nor
artifact found for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1
[ivy:install]     no ivy file in cache for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1: tried
C:\Users\tvaananen\.ivy2\cache\org.apache.commons\com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging\ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]      trying
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]         tried
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml

HANGS ANOTHER 5 MINUTES. Throws an I/O exception that server did not
respond. Finally moves to the right repository after 10 minutes total.

[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       438 ) I/O exception
(org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException) caught when
processing request: The server repository.springsource.com failed to respond
[ivy:install] (httpclient.HttpMethodDirector       444 ) Retrying request
[ivy:install]     com.springsource.repository.bundles.external: found md file
for org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1
[ivy:install]         =>
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
(1.1.1)
[ivy:install]     parser = ivy parser
[ivy:install]     no ivy file in cache for
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1: tried
C:\Users\tvaananen\.ivy2\cache\org.apache.commons\com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging\ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install] downloading
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]     com.springsource.repository.bundles.external: downloading
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]         to
C:\Users\tvaananen\.ivy2\cache\org.apache.commons\com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging\ivy-1.1.1.xml.original.part
[ivy:install] sha1 file found for
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml:
checking...
[ivy:install]     com.springsource.repository.bundles.external: downloading
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml.sha1
[ivy:install]         to
C:\Users\TVAANA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ivytmp1483036655760669822sha1
[ivy:install] sha1 OK for
http://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/org.apache.commons/com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging/1.1.1/ivy-1.1.1.xml
[ivy:install]     [SUCCESSFUL ]
org.apache.commons#com.springsource.org.apache.commons.logging;1.1.1!ivy.xml(ivy.original)
(647ms)

Yay, got what I wanted!