ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dependency descriptor mediation/overriding
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:39:05 GMT
You might have the same problem as reported in IVY-1131, which is fixed in SVN trunk.
Cfr. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1131

Could you try again with current trunk version to check if the problem still occurs?
You can download a snapshot here: http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Ant/job/Ivy/

regards,
Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: "james.carnegie@nokia.com" <james.carnegie@nokia.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Mon, March 15, 2010 1:11:12 PM
Subject: Dependency descriptor mediation/overriding

Hi All,

I have a complex dependency graph in which all dependencies are resolved dynamically (using
Version Range Matcher  -  revConstraint="[1.1,2.0[" for example). I have a use case in which
I need to override the revision of a particular transitive dependency from the root of my
graph, without having to introduce a dependence on that transitive dependency in my root node.
I'm hoping to use Ivy to drive SOA integration; that is, I'll be versioning web services,
not binary artefacts at all!

My understanding of the documentation is that using the <override> element in my root
node's <dependencies> element will achieve this:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/override.html

I'm puzzled however, by the results of my experiments with this. If I make the value of "rev"
outside what is permitted by the "revConstraint" on that dependency, I get the following message:

[ivy:resolve] dependency descriptor has been mediated: dependency: com.nokia#MyDependency;1.1
{*=[*]} => dependency: com.nokia# MyDependency;0.9 {*=[*]}

While this sounds like it's doing the job, the resulting report shows that this mediation
has not occurred at all. If I set the "rev" in the <override> to a value that sits inside
the "revConstraint", my desired use case, the above log message does not appear, and the report
also shows that the override has been ignored.

Are <override> elements ignored for dynamic resolution? If so, does anybody know a way
of achieving this given I have no conflicts?

Kind regards,

James

p.s. BTW - I love the pretty pictures I get from the Report that show our service dependency
graphs.