ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Michael Shea <m...@nitido.com>
Subject HTTP basic auth repositories
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:53:36 GMT
Hi folks,

I am looking for some information about retrieving dependencies from an
HTTP Ivy repository, using Basic Auth, from an Ant build.

I am using ivy-2.1.0.

So far, I have been unable to actually retrieve any dependencies,
because I can't authenticate. At least, that's what I infer from all the
error messages I get that say:
CLIENT ERROR: Authorization Required url=[...]
java.io.IOException The HTTP response code for [...] did not indicate a
success. See log for more detail.

I have commons-httpclient-3.1.jar on the path that I used when I created
the ivy taskdefs, so I don't think that's the problem:

<taskdef resource="org/apache/ivy/ant/antlib.xml"
uri="antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant" classpathref="ivy.lib.path" />
... "ivy.lib.path" contains commons-httpclient-3.1.jar.

The information on the website is confusing. This link (
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/configure.html)
<http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/configure.html>)
indicates that the username and password should be defined on the
ivy:configure element, but then only gives an example which uses
<credentials> sub-elements. When I actually try to use <credentials> as
a sub-element of ivy:configure, my build blows up (apparently this is
not legal). There's also the "ivy:settings" element, which does seem to
support the <credentials> sub-element, but which I am still unable to
convince to work (as in, download my dependencies - at least it doesn't
make the build fail when I call it, though).

Debugging is tricky; all I ever see is that error message telling me
that authorization is required.

I've also found another posting that indcates that you can do the
credential stuff in ivysettings.xml instead of in Ant:
http://blogs.jfrog.org/2010/03/building-enterprise-repository-with.html
... I haven't yet been able to get this method to work either.

Oh, I've been leaving the "realm" to use for authentication out of all
my configurations, since I don't think I'm using one.

Anybody have some pointers for me?

Thanks!

Mike Shea.