ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Juha Ranta <juha.ra...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: advanced ivy retrieve syntax
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:44:54 GMT

Juha Ranta wrote:

> dek577 wrote:
>>
>> Does the ivy:retrieve ant task support more advanced configuration
>> specifications similar to the configuration mappings, intersections, and
>> negations described here:
>> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/dependency.html
>>
>> I'm interested in doing a retrieve similar to the following:
>>
>> <task name="retrieve">
>> <ivy:retriive conf="runtime+release"
>> pattern="${staging.dir}/[module]-[revision]/[artifact](.[ext])"/>
>> </task>
>>
>> that grabs a subset of the dependencies.
>>

> I've run to a similar need with my confs. The problem seems to arise when
> I have confs in two or more "dimensions". For instance, while constructing
> my server platform, I need to put some jars in classpath, other jars as
> Bea shared libraries, others in mbeantypes directory, etc. Fine, I can use
> confs to tell whether I want to put the jar in classpath or the mbeantypes
> directory. However, at the same time, I may need to insert some jars only
> in the developer's classpath and some only in the runtime classpath.
>
> Thus, it would be useful to be able to retrieve, say,
> "developer+mbeantypes".
>
> I looked at the current options in Ivy but didn't find anything that
> worked well in this situation.
>
> Juha Ranta

Now that I thought of it, I'd like it if I could do something like this:

<dependency org="xxx" module="dom4j" conf="runtime->default"
e:localdir="mbeantypes"/>

and then use the localdir or whatever extra attribute I defined in the
dependency in my retrieve task.

I don't think it's always a good idea to expect that a single jar should
know whether it is placed in war, ear, APP-INF/lib, classpath, as a BEA
shared library, in the mbeantypes directory, in the classpath, or whatever,
and publish all the confs that the user may need.