ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From dek577 <dek...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: advanced ivy retrieve syntax
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 22:14:18 GMT

I'm not worried about the duplicate artifact issue. ivy:retrieve supports the
symlink attribute that prevents duplicate copies. If the objection is
philosophical and you want to use ivy:cachepath instead, then my question
directly extends to that as well. Could you use advanced intersections and
negations to specify the configurations on ivy:cachepath (or any post
resolve task).

I'm using ivy for native multi-platform dependency management of artifacts
x64, x86, debug, release, etc, dlls, libs, exes. A common example is a
c,c++, or fortran library that publishes several different flavors of
artifacts (debug, release, static, dynamic, headers, etc) for different
platforms and compilers. Almost every single module I have has more than a
one published artifact and a small handful of configurations. The
granularity of the module is about as small is it could be. If you want to
see examples take a look at:
http://www.cooljeff.co.uk/2009/08/01/handling-native-dependencies-with-apache-ivy
and
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-ivy-user/200908.mbox/%3C45f3b7570908032325s74573fc4k2c8de6522ea700b9@mail.gmail.com%3E

There is a rich syntax for defining the dependency relationship between
modules. The problem is that when I'm compiling or packaging the code, I
need to know the internal configuration structure (which dependent artifacts
belong to a particular configuration) to package and build correctly.

I could hard code the information into my ant script and conditionally
remove those resolved items that I don't need (such as the debug versions
for a release build), but I'd much rather ask ivy to automatically find me
all the artifacts I depend on that are in the intersection of the 'runtime'
and 'release' configurations.