ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Scott Goldstein <Scott.Goldst...@nextlabs.com>
Subject RE: Dealing with Large/Complex Dependencies (e.g. Windows Platform SDK)
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:26:42 GMT
Thanks, Shawn.  I'll give this a try.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Castrianni [mailto:Shawn.Castrianni@halliburton.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 6:57 PM
To: 'ivy-user@ant.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Dealing with Large/Complex Dependencies (e.g. Windows Platform SDK)

I solve this with "extra" attributes in the ivy.xml file.  Instead of publishing each artifact
separately for modules with large number of artifacts, I zip them up into groups and publish
the zip files.  I add my own extra attribute in the ivy.xml file, ext:archive="true", to these
zip files.  Then in my ANT script that does the ivy retrieve, I post process the dependencies
searching for any that have ext:archive="true" and then automatically unzip them and delete
the zip file using ANT tasks.

One caveat with this is if you zip up ALL the artifacts into one huge zip file, you limit
yourself in how you can use configurations.  For example, I use configurations to split up
my modules by platform so that I can download windows artifacts separately from linux artifacts.
 If you zip up both into one big zip file, you can no longer use the configuration option
to only retrieve the artifacts for a single platform since the entire zip file would have
to be downloaded.  Therefore, choose your groups wisely.

You can make up any "extra" attributes that you want to achieve some nice functionality.
For example, I have added ext:executable="true" to tell my retrieve post processing code to
do a chmod a+x on the artifact when on unix.  I have added, for example, ext:alias="libXXX.so"
for an artifact, perhaps called libXXX.so.10.1, so that my retrieve post processing code can
do a ln -s libXXX.so.10.1 libXXX.so to maintain unix style symlinks.

It would be nice if IVY had these options built in, but it is not hard at all to write your
own retrieve post processing code in ANT that searches for these extra attributes in the ivy.xml
and perform the necessary commands.  Here is the code using XMLTASK to do the chmod mentioned
above.  I have modified the code to simplify it so I may have introduced a bug so keep that
in mind:

	<ac:for param="dependencyDir">
         <dirset dir="${env.DEPENDENCIES_DIR}">
            <include name="*"/>
         </dirset>
         <sequential>
                  <xt:xmltask source="@{dependencyDir}/ivy/ivy.xml" failWithoutMatch="false">
                     <xt:call path="ivy-module/publications/artifact">
                        <param name="artifactName" path="@name"/>
                        <param name="artifactExt" path="@ext"/>
                        <param name="artifactType" path="@type"/>
                        <param name="artifactExecutable" path="@ext:executable" default="false"/>
                        <xt:actions>
                                 <!--Process executables that should be set-->
                                 <ac:if>
                                    <and>
                                       <available file="@{dependencyDir}/@{artifactType}/@{artifactName}.@{artifactExt}"/>
                                       <istrue value="@{artifactExecutable}"/>
                                    </and>
                                    <ac:then>
                                       <echo message="Setting executable bit: @{dependencyDir}/@{artifactType}/@{artifactName}.@{artifactExt}"/>
                                       <exec executable="chmod" dir="${basedir}" failonerror="true">
                                          <arg value="a+x"/>
                                          <arg value="@{dependencyDir}/@{artifactType}/@{artifactName}.@{artifactExt}"/>
                                       </exec>
                                    </ac:then>